Alprazolam, sold under the trade name Xanax, among others, is a potent short-acting benzodiazepine. It is most commonly take in short term management of anxiety Problem specifically panic disorder or generalized anxiety disorder.
- Xanax is the brand name of alprazolam, It is used in the medication of Anxiety. Alprazolam is a benzodiazepine. It works by improving the action of a chemical messenger (GABA) which suppresses the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
- Xanax is in a catagory of medicine called benzodiazepines, and is available in several forms, including tablets, a liquid, disintegrating tablets, and extended-release tablets.
- Xanax i alprazolam is made by Pfizer and was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1981. It's also available as a generic drug.
- The liquid form of the drug, Alprazolam Intensol, is made by West-Ward Pharmaceuticals.
- Alprazolam orally disintegrating tablets, Niravam, are made by Jazz Pharmaceuticals.
- Xanax XR extended-release tablets are also made by Pfizer; other drug companies make generic alprazolam extended-release tablets, too.
- The FDA also warns that there are serious condition or risks identify with taking Xanax or other benzodiazepines at the same time as opioid analgesics, like oxycodone and hydrocodone, among others, or with opioid-containing cough products.
- Using opioids and benzodiazepines together can result in extreme sleepiness, slowed or difficult breathing, coma, or death.
- You should take the suggestion to your doctor about alternative treatments as well as the serious risks involved before taking opioids and benzodiazepines like Xanax together.
General side effects of Xanax with in : ataxia, cognitive dysfunction, constipation, difficulty in micturition, drowsiness, dysarthria, fatigue, memory impairment, skin rash, weight gain, weight loss, anxiety, blurred vision, diarrhea, insomnia, decreased libido, increased appetite, and decreased appetite. Other side effects include: hypotension, sexual disorder, muscle twitching, and increased libido. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
Along with its required effects, alprazolam (the active additive consist of in Xanax may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical consideration
- Being forgetful
- changes in patterns and rhythms of speech
- clumsiness or unsteadiness
- difficulty with coordination
- feeling sad or empty
- lack of appetite
- loss of interest or pleasure
- relaxed and calm
- shakiness and unsteady walk
- sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
- slurred speech
- trouble concentrating
- trouble performing routine tasks
- trouble sleeping
- trouble speaking
- unsteadiness, trembling, or other problems with muscle control or coordination
- unusual tiredness or weakness
The dose of Xanax you take will depend on which condition you have and your age, as well as which form of the medication you use.
Xanax should be taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
General guidelines for Xanax dosages:
- Your doctor may suggested using Xanax two to four times a day.
- When you first start, your doctor may slowly increase your dose to avoid side effects.
- The dose may be lower if you’re elderly, debilitated, or have liver problems.
- When coming off of Xanax, doctor may have you slowly reduce the dose before no longer taking it.
- Keep all forms of Xanax out of the reach of children.
- Store Xanax at room temperature and away from heat and moisture.
Xanax tablets are available in strengths of 0.25 milligrams (mg), 0.5 mg, 1 mg, and 2 mg.
Take the tablets with liquid, such as a glass of water. You can take them with or without food.
The tablets are scored and you can split them
Mix the dose of the concentrated oral solution with liquid or semisolid food, such as water, juice, applesauce, or pudding.
Discard an opened bottle within 90 days after opening.
Niravam, alprazolam orally disintegrating tablets, comes in strengths of 0.25 mg, 0.5 mg, 1 mg, or 2 mg.
Taking this medication with liquid is not necessary. You may take it with water if you prefer. Xanax 1 mg, extended release tablets, come in strengths of 0.5 mg, 1 mg, 2 mg, or 3 mg. Take this once daily, usually in the morning with liquid (such as a glass of water).